Friday, September 12, 2008

Oompah Band at the Crowne Plaza Hotel

A Jump on Oktoberfest (Sept 11, 2008)
America commemorates the 9/11 terrorist attack. Some twelve thousand miles away, the Qingdao-rens started celebrating their version of Oktoberfest. One of the first to host was the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Hongkong Middle Road, where a huge, white tent was setup for the occasion. I estimated as many as 500 Tsingtao beer drinking fanatics were in the tent that night.

The Qingdao Business Leaders (QBL) had a planning meeting earlier in the evening. I was impressed on how smooth and quick the meeting went. Then I figured out the meeting was just an excuse to party. Everyone just wanted to get out early and be at the big 'Beerfest' tent.

An oompah band imported directly from Bavaria (at least that's what I was told) belted out both traditional German folk songs, as well as American country music. They even played 'boogie' and foxtrot to the delight of the 'older' crowd. I couldn't resist showing off my boogie moves with my new friend's (Chris Wachendorfer) mother. Chris, as he introduced himself, is the chief 'Grease Monkey' in Qingdao. They are building a dozen or so of these automotive service centers here in Qingdao alone. I wonder if they have monkeys doing the car washing and cleaning? Incidentally, they call BMW's here - Bu Moi Wo, meaning 'don't touch me'.

Kathy, my dear Chinese lady friend, thought she was German and kept offering 'prost" to everyone. (Kathy Z. W. - she is the lovely girl caught eating too much bratwurst in the slide show below). It was a great night. I know, because I do not know how I got home.


....More to come on the Qingdao Beerfest on Sept 19th to Oct 5th.... In the meantime here are some photos taken at the Crowne Plaza festival.

No comments: